GPN owner Michael Martin has been a Forensic Psychophysiologist (polygraph examiner) for over 30 years and has completed over 10,000 examinations of all types. Better known as “The Lie Detector Guy” from 1997 to 2002, Michael has appeared over 350 times on national and international television as a polygraph expert. Some of these shows include MSNBC, 20/20, 48 Hours, WNBC News, Fox News, Sci-Fi Channel’s Proof Positive, Discovery Channel’s Mythbusters, Sally Jessy Raphael, Ricki Lake, Maury Povich, Dr. Joy Browne, Forgive or Forget, Morton Downey Jr., Richard Bey, and many more. See below for a list of high profile cases.
Michael has authored two polygraph textbooks, Polygraph Theory © 1994 and PDD Testing for Domestic Issues (A Guide for Examiners) © 2012 , and is available for speaking engagements on the topic of Forensic Psychophysiology or Domestic Issue Polygraph Testing.
Michael holds memberships in the American Polygraph Association, the Maryland Polygraph Association, the Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abusers,the American Society for Testing and Materials, the British & European Polygraph Examiner’s Association, and the Better Business Bureau (A+ rated). Michael is APA certified to conduct Post-Conviction Sex Offender exams, and has been qualified to testify as a polygraph expert. Michael has also been approved to provide testing (under contract) for the United States Government as well as other government agencies.
Michael received training at the New York School of Lie Detection, the Maryland Institute of Criminal Justice, Lion Investigation Academy, and Rider University. Michael holds an honorary (unearned) Doctor in Psychology, but this title is not intended to convey or imply that Martin is a physician, psychologist or psychiatrist. Michael is an instrument-rated private pilot and flies his Mooney Executive anywhere his services are needed.
Michael is available to provide exams at any GPN testing location which his name appears next to (see our listings in NY, NJ, PA, DE, and MD) or at any other location worldwide by special quote.
HIGH PROFILE CASES
- Columbine High School massacre – In 1999, Michael tested 3 young men suspected by law enforcement of being involved with Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, who shot 37 people (killing 13) at the Columbine high school. Results were “no deception indicated” to denial of involvement in the shootings.
- Robert Chambers “Preppie Murder” case – In 1988, Michael tested Chambers’ cell mate, Ira Rosenfeld, who claimed Chambers had confessed to Rosenfeld that Chambers had intentionally murdered 18-year old Jennifer Levin in 1986. Chambers was the first defendant to attempt a “rough sex” defense, saying that he accidentally choked Levin to death while having sex with her in Central Park. Results were “deception indicated” to the cell mate having actually received Chambers’ confession.
- Joann Katrinak murder case – In 2002, Michael tested convicted murderer Patricia Rorrer in a defense bid for a new trial. Rorror is serving a life sentence for the 1994 murders of Joann Katrinak and her 3 month old son, Alex.. Results were “deception indicated” to Rorrer having committed the murders
- Mythbusters – In 2007, Michael conducted an experiment with the Mythbusters (Discovery Channel) team to test various theories that polygraph could be “beaten” by using certain techniques commonly known as “countermeasures.” The experiment utilized a mock crime scenario whereby some test subjects were guilty and some were innocent (randomly selected). Even though various techniques were used by the guilty parties to defeat the test, Martin was able to correctly identify both the truthful and untruthful examinees with 100% accuracy.
- White Marlin Open – From 2005 to 2009, Michael provided exclusive polygraph testing for the “World’s Largest Billfish Tournament” held annually in Ocean City MD. This testing was administered to verify that the anglers had not violated any of the tournament rules while catching the prize-winning fish. Top prizes for this tournament typically exceeded $1 million and reached as high as $1.6 million in 2005.
- Mike Tyson paternity suit – In 2001, Michael tested a plaintiff in a paternity suit against Mike Tyson claiming she was raped by the boxer in a hotel room. Results were “deception indicated” to the allegation that Tyson has sex with her against her will.
- Jon Benet Ramsey murder case – In 1997, Michael was the MSNBC polygraph expert providing commentary and analysis of John and Patsy Ramsey’s independent polygraph exams.
- Chandra Levy murder case – In 2001, Michael was the Fox News Network polygraph expert providing commentary and analysis of Gary Condit’s polygraph exams concerning Levy’s disappearance.
Note: The above-cases were administered at the request of media organizations or were otherwise intended to be made public. While we do generally consider our client files confidential, such confidentiality is waived when the results are intended for public consumption.
Michael can be reached by writing email@example.com